Article by: Terry-Lynne Paulse
The Western Cape Government is committed to fighting corruption, fraud and theft, and this fight is central to achieving our goal of creating an open-opportunity society for all.
Fraud vs. Corruption
Corruption can be understood generally as the giving or receiving of a benefit (gratification) which is not lawfully due either for doing something that you should not be doing or for not doing something that you should be doing.
Fraud is the unlawful and intentional making of a misrepresentation which causes actual prejudice or which is potentially prejudicial to another.
What’s the big deal????
- it is generally estimated that 15% of all government spending is lost to fraud and/or corruption
- it impacts on service delivery
- it impacts on the poor
Responsibility of Internal Control Unit (ICU) and the Provincial Forensic Services
The Department of the Premier (DotP): Provincial Forensic Services (PFS) unit is mandated with the responsibility of ensuring that the Department maintains the zero-tolerance stance towards fraud, corruption and theft.
The Internal Control Unit on behalf of PFS annually coordinates awareness training sessions on fraud, corruption and theft to empower all employees to become anti-fraud and corruption custodians. During the current financial year two awareness sessions will be held on the 11th and 12th September 2018 respectively. It is imperative that all officials attend these session as the fight against fraud and corruption is everybody’s responsibility.
How Can I Help?
You can help fight and report any incident of corruption, fraud and theft in the Western Cape by reporting to:
- The national toll-free anti-corruption hotline on 0800 701 701 (the hotline is available 24/7 in all official languages); or
- Provincial Forensic Services or by post, telephone, fax or email at the following details:
- Street address:9 Riebeek Street, Fourth Floor, Atterbury House, Cape Town
- Postal address:PO Box 659, Cape Town, 8000
- Tel:021 483 0901
- Fax:021 483 0928
- Email: Tip.Offs@westerncape.gov.za