The 2017 Annual Report for the Western Cape Provincial Treasury was published on 31 August.
The Provincial Treasury’s 2016/17 Annual Report summarise the extent to which the Department achieved its stated objective of improving allocative efficiency, ensuring value for money, maintaining fiscal sustainability while building and further entrenching good governance and embedding integrated service delivery.
Worth highlighting is the implementation of key projects such as:
- The municipal financial management improvement and capacity building support grants.
- The development of Strategic Sourcing methodologies for certain commodities to enhance supply chain management efficiencies.
- Continued preparation for the migration of the Integrated Financial Management System (IFMS).
- Further strengthening of the monitoring and reporting of Corporate Governance Review and Outlook (CGRO) within departments and the coordination of the Municipal Governance Review and Outlook (MGRO) within local governments.
- The establishment of a MFMA bursary and internship programme and a Chartered Accountants (CA) Academy.
The Annual Report further reflects on our undertaking to the people of the Western Cape
that we will continue to pursue inclusive growth by strengthening coordination and
alignment between processes and structures of Government and other key role-players,
while improving service delivery, creating maximum socio-economic impact and building public value.
The annual “Taking the Budget to the People” and Min-Mayco Finance engagements have
now become firmly entrenched on the Provincial Treasury calendar as we actively seek to inform the citizens of the Western Cape of the budget allocations to the respective regions. These initiatives seek to empower local citizens with information to enhance their participation in the budgeting processes.
Treasury also attained its fourth consecutive clean audit during 2016/17. This has
been achieved through persistency and hard work.
The Department was also awarded 4th place (jointly) at the National Batho Pele Excellence Awards in the category “Best Ethical and Professional Department”.
Minister Meyer thanked Provincial Treasury officials for their contribution to one of the key priorities of the National Development Plan, namely the building of a capable state through partnerships for we are, BETTER TOGETHER.
Click here to review the Annual report.