Minister Meyer recently visited the Eden district to present the R1 billion 2017/18 budget that is earmarked for infrastructure, maintenance and repairs in the Eden region.
“We have met all the mayors in the region and shared information on the budget allocated to their respective areas. We have also learnt about the challenges they are facing with the drought, recent fires, unfunded mandates, fiscal pressures and the need for a regional shared service model for some powers and functions,” minister Meyer said.
Of the Western Cape Government’s R59 billion budget, 8.41% will be spent in the Eden district. Some of the major infrastructure projects in this area are:
- R255 million on roads maintenance
- R199 million on improvements to the Oudtshoorn/De Rust road
- R29 million on the modernisation of the York Park Office building
- R143 million to build 1749 residential units in George
- R32 million to replace the Thembalethu Community District Clinic
- R52 million on construction of the Diaz Primary School
Minister Meyer was accompanied by the MEC of Economic Opportunities, minister Alan Winde, the MEC for Transport and Public Works, minister Donald Grant as well as Treasury officials.